Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Postcard from The Real World

Sigh.

I like my job. I like helping people. I love traveling. I love helping students to travel abroad.

But sometimes I can't help. Sometimes there are rules to follow that people would like to circumvent--would like me to circumvent--and I can't. So, they put up a great fuss, and get their family members to call me and other family members to visit me in hopes that making an even greater fuss will somehow get them around the rules.

Oh how exhausting it is to be fussed with. So exhausting, in fact, that when it was through, I took a nap under my boss's desk. (Her office is carpeted.)

The problem is I'm soft. I have this bleeding heart and people sense it and do their best to exploit it. It reminds me of that line from the Princess Bride:


Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it’s nothing but work, work, work, all the time.

Work work work all the time--and all because word has leaked out that I'm a big softie.

Except that I'm not! I really want to make exceptions, but I don't! I'm getting better. In fact, I'm sure that pretty soon I'll have earned my reputation as the Dread Pirate Ray, and it will all be thanks to Mr Burns for his inspiration. From now on, this is how I am going to deal with unwanted visitors:

That'll teach those fussers!

(seriously, you guys gotta check this out)
-------------------------------------------

The only thing getting me through these awful, draining incidents is my upcoming trip to France. I'll be hitting up Germany, too, but I'm most excited about Paris, Nice, and Nantes :)

Ten more days.

Until then, I just have to keep telling myself:


Just keep swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment