Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Cool Thing About Oppressive Heat

My summer in Jordan left me tired, drained, exhausted! Never wanting to think about moving again! Not even to learn Arabic! Not even for cool---well, okay, maybe for cool pictures.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my days occupied with a little babysitting (the daughter from this post in case you're curious). Today was day 1, and it went swimmingly. L and I baked a delicious batch of chocolate chip cookies, did a sinkload of dishes, and fried an egg on the sidewalk. Sort of. This is something I've wanted to do my whole life but never lived in a place hot enough to pull it off--until today. It was a hot afternoon, but, well, just not hot enough. It took forever to cook and in the meantime it oozed along the maze of mortar cracks in the sidewalk. Such a letdown to, after all these years of fantasizing, be met with such an anticlimactic egg-frying event.

Still.

It cooked.

........

Hmm. I'm supposed to put a picture right here but I seem to have misplaced my cord. BLAST!
Well, stay tuned. I'll post it tomorrow. Get really excited so you can experience the whole buildup and letdown I felt this afternoon. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never thought of trying this over there but now I am excited to have a new Saudi - heat related activity to try with Izzy and the boys when I get back over there in a couple of weeks. We will be there just in time for Eid so maybe we will come and visit Sharjah again. Just always playing it by ear lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty cool. Not nearly as dramatic as we had anticipated, but neat anyway. Like I said, try it with a cookie sheet. I bet it will be way cooler.

    ReplyDelete