Sunday, August 30, 2009

What I Do(n't) All Day

It's 12:40 AM and I am tired.

Just like I've been all day.

Just like I was yesterday.

Because the day before yesterday, I stayed up late, doing nothing in particular. I did go to the grocery store and my friend's office around midnight Friday morning, but was home by one. Still, I didn't get to bed till 3 because there's this thing called Twitter that sucks your life away! I don't even know why I love it so much, or why I find it more valuable than sleep, but it keeps me up late. A lot.

I didn't sleep in Friday morning because I had church and, actually, this Friday I got up early to take a shower, only to find that someone was already using it! So I got up a half-hour early only to be cranky and unable to fall back to sleep.
I didn't take a nap Friday afternoon because I really don't like napping. Sometimes it's wonderful, but mostly it's just several hours that could be spend reading or eating or tweeting.

And that night, I went to two parties. I participated in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which means at the appropriate times I threw toast and rice and toilet paper with about 20 other people. I also danced the Time Warp, and was really weirded out by much of the film.

Then I went to a more normal party, filled with professors and alcohol, and this time I was home by 12. But still, didn't sleep until 3. I'd like to say I was doing something more productive than Tweet-stalking, but I won't.

At noon today, I woke up. A new day! I'm going to DO STUFF!

But my afternoon plans fell through and I soon found myself on the couch with book one of The Complete Calvin and Hobbes propped up on my knees. At 5, I got dressed. And at six, I finally went over to help my friend make dinner. At 8, I fell asleep (on her couch, while my friends and fellow dinnerguests photographed the room's various rugs and vases, and also me).

So here I am, back on the couch but this time with my computer in my lap and Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long blog playing in the background.

Tomorrow, I will resume my babysitting job. It's not much, but it earns me a pittance and gets me off the couch.

[In my defense, I have read several books since being home, and have had a few successful study sessions.]

It's nice to have a break, but this is ridiculous. I feel the knowledge leaking out of my brain and running across the mush that used to be my muscles.
My life is easy and luxurious, and completely unfulfilling. I miss my busy life. I miss earning money. I miss having a job with coworkers and a boss and a punch clock.

I'm writing this to explain why this blog is so uninteresting. Normally I have a lot to say about the Emirates but, since I don't normally spend so much time on the couch, well, I haven't seen much of it.

But more than that, it's to remind myself that my late-night lazy-day lifestyle sucks and why don't I do something already? So here's the plan for the week:

1. Get rid of "stuff" in my room. Find a home for books, CDs, the two drawers brimming with jewel cases, and the t-shirts taking up my closet space

2. After doing laundry, hang clothes in closet on newly-vacated hangers.

3. Take more pictures.

4. Spend some time on campus making observations so I have something to write about.

5. Get some exercise, lest I be rendered unfit for my own wardrobe.

6. Do an hour of Arabic every day.

Also, no naps. No late-night tweeting. Cut back on the baked goods and learn at least one new dinner dish.

To productivity!

To fulfillment!

To interesting blog posts!

2 comments:

  1. I so wish my boys had this same paradigm shift already. They still think the play filled, idle life is the best thing out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. College made me this way. I now can enjoy a good vacation--a few days of nothing--but then I get antsy. I like structure. I like accomplishing things, and I really like being busy. I'm sure one day they will, too. :)

    ReplyDelete