Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Favorite Part Of Being Out Of School

I never wanted to go to college.

I planned to drop out of high school and clean vomit of tavern floors in Dublin--or pretty much anything that would let me travel. My parents wouldn't hear of it and then we all moved to Dubai and so we all got our wishes granted, because not only were we living somewhere new and exciting, but my tuition was 100% FREE. So my parents sent me to college and I had no way out of it.

Now that I'm done, I realize what a complete imbecile I was. Why on Earth would you not go to college? (Answer: Because school means wooooork and graaaaades and teeeessts and papeeeers. Ugh.) Don't answer that; it's rhetorical. The thing about college is this: it rocks. The even cooler thing about college? FINISHING rocks EVEN MORE.

I'm living with my parents again, which may not sound very cool, but which most certainly is. Let me tell you about the last, oh, 36 hours.

I slept in till 11 because I didn't have to do anything at all. (I'm now babysitting only three times a week.)
But I got up and got dressed anyway. And then noticed the awful headache I had and how achey it made my head and how awful my head felt! When my parents got home for lunch, I whiiiiined about my siinuuuseees. My mom, who suffers from sinus aches more than I do, took pity on my and offered me some rhino-relief pills. I only took one. I only took one! (That's important! But I'll come back to it.)
Then I went up to the library with them and was yawning within an hour. Yawning and losing focus and yawning some more.
I fell asleep on the couch.
I got up for dinner.
I fell asleep on the couch.

Pssh. So much for that non-drowsy meds. Also, so much for one pill equaling half a dose. If I had been smart about it, I would have read the instructions and realized that one pill=full-dose=DO NOT TAKE (I can never handle full doses of any medicine).
But I wasn't and I didn't, and so at 11 PM, I woke up and went to bed.

I woke up several more times throughout the night and finally woke up all the way at 7:30 this morning. 7:30! I read a bit.
At 9 the maid came and I decided not to leave my room until she was gone.
She didn't leave for three hours and I read the whole time. In bed. In my PJs. In BED!
This afternoon, I babysat for three hours, which means I got paid to make gingerbread cookies and watch Bolt while munching on popcorn.

Go to college. You'll be so happy you did.


(PS I really have been productive. I've worked out several times since last week's post and have lost 5 pounderinos. I cleaned my room, organized my closet, did laundry, and while my Arabic study hasn't been great, I have been doing some each day. I also have more pictures to post. Woohoo!)

2 comments:

  1. I love your life right now Anna! Relish in it. Crazy busy while married with children lasts forever!

    Btw, I found out that the people whom I thought came to Saudi as mere visitors/friends were actually considered parents. It was a stepmom and a real dad so I was wrong about visitor visas for people other than children or parents. Looks like you won't be able to enjoy Saudi after all. My boys would trade you places any day. They still have lots of friends at AUS and they pretty much hate it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.... somehow I don't have the same vision after being DONE, however I do have great anticipation for the event, and I will rely on living the good life through you and your posts for now :)

    ReplyDelete