Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving: Breakdown and Wrap-up

Today was Thanksgiving. I celebrated it at the mall with my mom for the first half of the day, then at a different mall with some friends the second half of the day. No one did any cooking (well, my dad made some popcorn. And mom baked cinnamon rolls, so I guess some sort-of cooking was done.) so we didn't even eat together.
Today being what it is and all, I suppose I should be seguing-way into the obligatory "I am thankful for..." Thanksgiving Blog Post, but I'm not going to. I didn't celebrate T-day this year, and that is that. [But to everyone who did: Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it was great.]

This morning I got up at nine because we were all supposed to hold strong with the Thanksgiving Day Tradition of Seeing a Movie, but the Informant is no longer in theaters (anyone see it? I am so bummed I didn't) and after reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, Dad decided seeing Where the Wild Things Are was a bad way to spend two hours (hah! Not even two hours! 94 minutes! yeesh) so it was just me and my madre. I wanted to see This Is It (for the third time! It's so good) but instead we walked around a mall for like 4 hours, and all I got out of it was a mouse and a stupid headset that doesn't even work!

Speaking of stupid headsets that don't work: does anyone have Skype? Because WOW. I mean, I've used it before but I just forgot how stunning it is! It is better than phone quality, and I am in the Middle East where internet sucks, so it's really saying something that Skype's quality is stunning. STUNNING! But do you know what is not stunning? My beloved PowerBook G4. It is 5 years old in computer years, which is what, like...150 in people years? Yeah, and it's not doing so well. It isn't even external microphone capable! Can you believe it? UGH. I wish I had known that before I went to the trouble of buying TWO. *idiot*

Also, my mom got this really amazing massage-y thing for like a buck at some Japanese dollar store. It is amazing. I shall post about it some other time.

Today, I will post about ugly lamps and expensive cereal.

These are the ugly lamps:


I know that not from the brilliantly hideous display, but from the description on the price tag. What would you pay for these?

You probably don't know this, but my favorite cereal is not Lucky Charms. I mean, I love me some Luck, but dang. There is nothing in this world quite like:


Wheat Chex. They are a bit hard to come by in the States, and more expensive than most cereal, but then I moved to the Emirates. The only place they can (sometimes) be found is at western grocery stores (never mind what I mean by that) and when I say it is expensive, I am talking *expensive*


Have you ever paid $9.25 for a (tiny) box of cereal?
Me neither.


Missed Photo Op: the bright green WTF trailers outside the mall. But THEN! I found this. Heh heh heh. I love living here.

So after the trailers, we got home, I took a nap, and then my mom woke me up to tell me Khalisah was on the phone, they're going to New Moon in a half hour, would I like to come? Let me tell you, there are few things so annoying as being woken up from a nap ohmyGOSH. But! When it's Khalisah, and she is inviting you to New Moon, well, forgiveness comes quickly.

I went in my pajamas mostly because I was already in them and couldn't be bothered to change, but also because my 6 AM workout class ended two weeks ago and my pants are really taking notice. Dangit! But, I did refrain from wearing slippers. This time.

Thoughts About New Moon:

1. Loved it. Tremendously superior to Twilight, which I guess isn't saying a whole lot since Twilight gave the impression of a 7th grade after-school project.

2. Love Jacob. Last year at this time, I was being mocked by my roommates for reading Twilight. Evidence. You punks! *shakes fist at the both of 'em* Then Megan got hooked--more hooked than I have ever been!--and here is that evidence. HEM HEM. This year, I am seeing New Moon on its first day in the UAE! YAAAAA!
But more importantly, last year at this time I was a biiiiiiig Edward fan. Like, I bought a little button from Hot Topic that said Team Edward. Because New Moon was sooooo boooooring. No descriptions of vampire-y hotness. No "I could lose control and CRUSH YOUR SKULL" romance. Just talk of a jagged hole and russet-colored fur. Gag.

But, I reread New Moon this summer and fell deeply in love with Jacob. What was I was thinking the first time through?! Jacob is so clearly, obviously, and wonderfully superior to Edward. He actually has a personality, for starters. And he doesn't make romance all about death and accidental death and Damned Because I Am Without Soul. *Drama Queen.* Nope, Jacob is just plain cool. (And hot. Amazing how that works.)

He was so real and true to character in the movie. Bella is so lame, and Edward so wearying, and the Cullens so....not stunningly gorgeous. So many of the cast are just disappointing but Jacob! Jacob is so delightful.

3. The Volturi. Oh my gosh, The Volturi. Namely, Aro. Wow. You should all go pay to see the movie if only to see Aro because he is just so good.

4. The line, You need someone who laughs at the gore that makes weaker men vomit.
Hahaha. I normally don't laugh at gore jokes, but Jacob, you are just so darn delightful.

5. The hair. I mean, what is it with the HAIR in this movie? It's like the stylists know that all I want from life is deliciously-auburn hair and decided it would be fun to taunt me with it.
Bella, for all her faults, has quite possibly the most gorgeous hair I have ever drooled over. Oh my gosh. Like, I have this fantasy where I wake up one morning, and suddenly all my hair is auburn. But not just "auburn". It's a deep brown and with a reddish tint and in the sun: red streaks. Good heavens, I dream about this hair! I pay eight bucks every 3-6 months to have this hair for just a few weeks. And there Bella is. Her boring, dull self all over the screen with two gorgeous guys chasing after her lameness--one with the body of a freaking olympian. Who is that kid?!--and all I can think about is, Man, I want that HAIR.

Other great hair: Edward, Alice, Charlie (Charlie!) and...actually just them. Oo, and maybe Laurent, too.

6. Charlie. The unsung hero of the movie. I mean, not hero--hottie. The unsung hottie of the movie. All these young guys in their bare chests and bulging muscles overshadow Charlie's deep brown eyes and lovely dark hair. And mustache! Who even looks good in a mustache?? Charlie. The only one in the world, I am convinced.

7. Jacooooooooooob. SOB. The end killed me. I was so sad for him, and so mad at Edward. Stupid Edward! And stupid Bella! I love money and good looks and sweet cars, but Bella. Seriously? It's JACOB. Forget it. I can't even look at you right now.

8. I laughed a lot during the movie. It was kind of funny, but mostly like overacted and dramatic and all those things the book was. yeesh.

So: New Moon! Yay!

And finally, Pictures:

So, like, I lost track of the post, but I once mentioned going to the movies with my mom and seeing a poster for The Rebound. The panties (isn't that an awful word?) in his mouth had been blacked out with a marker, which of course we found hilarious.

Well, tonight at a different mall there was this version of the poster:


Instead of a marker over panties (ekh!), a rose. How tactful.

This is me, objectifying Jacob.


*whoo*

And finally, the whole gang:



And that was the only take! I am an awesome single-handed self-photographer.

2 comments:

  1. And, admit it: you totally miss the Twilight talk.

    :D

    I miss you, too. Just 3 weeks and a semester left of your architorture! Grad school is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete