Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Love For Facebook Is Waning

Is that how you spell 'waning'? Anyway:

So today, I got on Facebook (on a break of course) and noticed a little grey number by the photos icon. When I clicked on it, I saw that I had a photo tag request awaiting my approval. A request from......what?? Who is THAT??
It was a picture of Sana'a taken from Yemen album. How strange that a person would want to tag his friend in a stranger's YEMEN album. What was going on?
So I clicked on the man's profile, and this is what I saw:



Okay actually that isn't a very good picture but GUYS: those four photos on his wall? Mine!! I don't know him and we have no friends in common. How many other times has this happened? Actually it doesn't even matter. Just it happening once is creepy enough.

So I messaged him:
Hi Malek,
I don't know how you got my pictures, but I request you take them down immediately. They're not your property and you have no right to be using them without permission.
I appreciate your cooperation.

And promptly changed my privacy settings.

Sidenote: I don't know how he accessed my picture. I made it--long ago--so that my picture box doesn't show up on my profile unless you're my friend, and so that the photos tab doesn't show up either. Are my pictures also floating around on someone else's wall? Where did he get access to them?
Eeewwwww. Definitely creepy.

Also: how was my message? What the heck would you have said in that situation? Reading through it again here, I wonder if I sound indignant enough. I don't think so. I think I should have added, "where did you get them and why the HECK are they on your wall?"
But he probably wouldn't have answered that anyway.

The past few months, Facebook has really been getting on my nerves. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way, right? I mean, why are they so keen on sharing information anyway? And why do they FORCE us to share information? What's with the new linked profile info? Can't I just swap pictures and wallposts with my friends without every other one of my friends knowing about it?

What the crap, Facebook? What the crap?

Of course, this coming from a blog with no privacy settings. But also people only have access to what I post and I control what I post. Did you hear that FACEBOOK? I control what I post.

Damned tyrant.

Garr.

1 comment:

  1. um. this is scary. i clicked on the photo before reading everything and was like, WTF? that really is really scary.

    --> goes to change privacy settings.

    =/

    ReplyDelete